Skip to main content

Chisholm's Rice Mill Collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: Mss-0233

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of an inventory volume and four oversize blueprints/plans. The volume contains an 1889 inventory of unattached machinery for the rice mill and other structures, such as the saw mill, planing mill, stores, office, etc. Descriptions of the machinery often include measurements (diameter, bore, shaft length, etc.) and occasional rough sketches of portions of the machinery. There is also a rough inventory from 1910 and lists of equipment removed from the mill by workers from the West Point Mill in 1895 and 1896 and of items sold or purchased for the years 1889-1892 and 1898. The oversize material consists of a rough plan of the mill complex and surrounding area made in 1904 and three blueprints, one on cloth, of the mill complex taken from a map of a contour survey of the western section of Charleston created for the City Council by James O'Hear in the summer of 1910, traced by A.T.S. Stoney from a blueprint of the plan and copied by O'Hear for Samuel G. Stoney, October 19, 1910.


  • 1889 - 1910

Historical Note

Chisolm's Mill was constructed circa 1830 by the Chisolm family on Tradd Street in Charleston, SC. The mill was damaged in a fire in 1858 and rebuilt. The mill was again damaged during the hurricane of 1911 and ceased to operate. The property was acquired by the United States Lighthouse Department for its headquarters and was later transferred to the United States Coast Guard.


5 item(s) (1 volume and 4 blueprints)

Language of Materials